The EMHF is among the leading European organisations that have been invited to participate in the EU’s forward planning.
DG SANCO (the EU Health and Consumer Protection Directorate General) has recently published a paper entitled Future Challenges: 2009-2014 based on several different workshops and future scenarios.
The paper will be widely distributed as the draft vision of the main challenges to be addressed under the lifespan of the next Commission. Four core challenges have been identified through this process. they are governance, globalisation, changing society and confidence.
Some of the questions DG SANCO want to answer are:
- What are some of the main challenges that the DG may face in the future?
- How will the environment in which we operate evolve in the coming 10-20 years?
- Will consumers have confidence in what they purchase in a supermarket?
- Will consumers be increasingly looking for ethical or local products?
- Will citizens live longer and healthier?
- Will consumers spend even more time on the internet looking for information or making a purchase?
The EMHF and other stakeholders such as the European Patient’s Forum have been invited to give feedback on this by the end of December.